Thursday, October 13, 2005

The Blue and The Green

In my last post I was talking about what my ultimate work place would be like. My two favorite places in the whole world are the beaches and the jungles. The Blue and the Green. The two colors of Mother Nature that I love. But in a beach, there are limitations. Like, it’s no fun sitting on the beach under the noon Sun, is it? Beaches are fun from dusk till dawn. The best place to be that time.

All my life I’d been to beaches with my parents or relatives to play in the water and see the Sun set, and as soon as it does it’s time to go home as if the show is over. When we friends go, we used to temporarily turn into frogs and take to the waters as if no world existed beyond the walls of the well.

As a kid I was told the Sun rises in the east and sets in the west, but I always thought “east” is where the mountains are and “west” is where the oceans are. In other words, for me, the Sun rises from amongst the mountains and sets into the ocean! Isn’t that how we used to draw “sunset” and “sunrise” in our drawing class? Well, o’course that’s ‘coz I come from a beautiful li’l coastal town in the western shores of the Indian peninsula.

Show/Hide Full Post...

When I grew up and had more grey matter up there, I knew it’s different if I go to the eastern shores. There the Sun would rise from the ocean and set amidst the mountains.

Really?? Hey, cool! I wanna to see that.

Sure enough, I got to, when I went to a city on the eastern coast and spent over a year and a half there for my studies. The beach, as usual, was a wonderful place. But the one thing I missed on those beaches is obviously the beautiful reddish - orange circle, the Sun, on the horizon coming down and disappearing into the water. Basically, it was a li’l boring for me.

Then one evening, in fact a li’l late in the evening, around 20:30hrs, I was bugged and so decided to go to the beach with my cousin. We did, and we were sitting and enjoying the cool wind in our hair, when far away, at the end of the black sheet of ocean I saw a faint glow. It got brighter and brighter and soon I saw a glimpse of…the Moon!

Man, I tell you…I was awestruck! I’ve seen the “Full Moon”, rising up and glowing out there…looking so amazingly beautiful. And I’ve seen the “New Moon”, a crescent, looking like a bright polished hook, way up in the sky. But this…it completely blew my mind. It was a near complete Moon, really huge, bigger than I’d ever seen it, and it was rising up slowly, throwing a reflection on the dark water, making it sparkle. It looked like a thousand diamonds spread across a plain. The scene was so beautiful; I wished it would just stay on for ever. I missed my camera that moment. If only I had it with me, I could have captured perhaps the most beautiful sight of my life.

Now I stay far away from the beaches. Geographically, am on the Deccan Plateau, and this place is over 3000ft above Mean Sea Level. Sure, no chances of a tsunami hitting us, but that also mean this place lacks one of the most beautiful places to be. But then, this place is quite green, in fact, one of the greenest cities I’d ever been to. But of late the greenery seems to be vanishing. It’s a poorly planned hi-tech city and the ever growing traffic is too much for the existing infrastructure. So the authorities are busy cutting down trees and widening the roads and building flyovers.

Who cares about the trees and the green beauty anyways?

I do. I wish this city was like it used to be, less crowded, and greener. I think my idea of “be connected, work while you live your own life wherever you want to be”, my ultimate work place, would help a lot in that. Hmmm…. What do you think?