Thursday, October 27, 2005

Nostalgia!

Night outs… Midnight teas… B’day bumps… Old torn jeans… Late night walks… Long chats… Pinches and slaps… Crushes on pals… Those fights on ego… Getting kicked out of class… Struggle for marks… Writing on desks… Fight with teachers… Tears for love…

Heaven…

This is an SMS I got from an old buddy of mine, about our school / college life. Sweet, eh? Yeah, I know. Just reading it got me nostalgic. Isn’t it funny that as kids we were in a hurry to grow up and when we are grown up, we wish we were still kids, wishing the school days had never ended?

Show/Hide Full Post...

I was never a smart kid in school. I was always the calm and quiet type. Well, not all that quiet, actually. I was rather the silent and deadly kind, though the deadly part is a well hidden trait. I was studious, or maybe I used to be studious, for a while, till they started teaching that water is not just something you drink or play or take bath in, but it’s a combo of gases, that geniuses call it H2O and it has a biography of its own!!

Yeah, Chemistry.

I could never understand those beehive shaped sketches they used to draw on the board. Molecular structure or something. Anyways, I used to top in class amongst the boys, was a bit artistic, which means I could draw pretty well in the science records. The school used to send me for the competitions in the earlier days but I never won a prize so I guess they got fed up and left me alone later. I used to enjoy quizzing and did win quite a few prizes in-house. But again, they sent another two guys and me for an inter-school competition and we returned with the consolation prize. We came out fourth. Oh, and there were only four teams in all. My teachers also thought I had a very good handwriting, which I think I successfully discarded somewhere on the way.

Blame it on the keyboard.

Whatever or however it was, we all still had loads of fun those days. After the early morning blues, it was always fun…

It was fun waiting for the bell to ring for recess so that we could go run and play in the courtyard, the teachers and even the Principal coming after us trying to catch us ‘cause recess is, supposedly, not to play and it’s a “crime” to do it;

It was fun waiting for the teacher once the recess is over, and hoping that she is absent so we could resort to “crimes” of a different order;

It was fun praying to every God we could think of, that the teacher doesn’t ask for the assignment as we totally forgot about it… ‘cause that teacher used to carry a cane;

It was fun breaking the rules by wearing sneakers to school when it’s banned; or removing the tie and stuffing it in the pockets as soon as the teacher leaves the room;

It was fun talking of a peek we got at the movie last night that had a very “steamy scene”, which o’coz wasn’t more than just a brief kissing;

It was fun sitting in a corner of the library and giggling over some “funny” questions asked by some “troubled” lady in the “Ask your Doc” column of the women’s magazine; yeah! We did that too!

It was fun helping a friend realize he’s in love with that girl who blushes on seeing him; and then wondering how mature they are when they get together and start talking about their future life, together…when o’coz the guy hasn’t even got his moustache growing;

It was fun having a crush on someone and our good friends immediately taking control of the situation and returning our favor by making us a “pair” and gossiping…

It was fun laughing our guts out at pranks played successfully on the easy targets;

It was fun irritating our teachers between the classes;

It was fun getting kicked out of the class for not doing the home-work;

It was fun going on picnics or tours in a group, a time when teachers turned friends;

It was fun when the teachers became our friends;

It was fun going to the school on our cycles and showing off as if we were riding Harleys;

It was fun breaking our heads for the exams and discussing the question paper with friends after it to estimate the percentage, which o’coz later became estimating the chances of passing the exam;

It was fun scribbling our favorite quotes on the desk; I even had a sketch of Michael Jackson on it. (Yeah! He used to be my idol once upon a time.)

It was fun fighting with friends for stupid reasons and then getting back together, with a dumb smile on our faces;

It was fun... ... ... ...

This could go on and on...

‘cause every small thing used to be so much fun back then.
Our worries were of a much lesser magnitude.
Sigh!